Photography by Cathy Behrens
The first Catholic settler arrived in the Belgrade area in 1886. A small church was built and dedicated in 1890 by Bishop Otto Zardetti, naming the church after St. Francis de Sales, for whom he had a great devotion. The bishop presented the new little parish with a statue of its patron saint which still stands. By 1897, an addition was made to the church due to the growth of the congregation.
In 1956, the parish built a new church building and rectory under Father Vincent Santo and was newly dedicated by Bishop Bartholome in 1957. A parish center was added in 1976, which is used for events and religious instruction.
For more detailed history of St. Francis de Sales parish, please refer to the book “The Spirit in Central Minnesota” by Vincent A. Yzermans.
OUR CHURCH WINDOWS [slideshow]
OUR PATRON SAINT
St. Francis de Sales was born at Thorens, in the Duchy of Savoy, France, August 21, 1567. After becoming a lawyer to follow in the family business, God called him to the priesthood. St. Francis had a gentle approach to ministering and converted many souls as a result, especially using pamphlets he wrote explaining our Catholic faith. He became bishop of Geneva at the age of 35, helped establish the Sisters of the Visitation, wrote many books, and was later declared a Doctor of the Church. He died at Lyons, December 28, 1622.
Feast day is January 24.
He is the patron saint of authors, deafness, journalists, and writers; he was known as the “gentleman saint”. To read more about St. Francis de Sales . . .
St. Francis de Sales Catholic Church
541 Martin Avenue
P.O. Box 69
Belgrade, MN 56312
SEMI-ANNUAL SAUSAGE SUPPER
All women, men, and students in grades 7 through college are asked to help out at our semi-annual Sausage Supper. It is held Palm Sunday and the last Sunday in October. This is a parish event and needs the support of ALL parishioners to help raise money to support our parish costs throughout the year.